Yes. If a government representative is at fault for causing an injury, the injured person may seek compensation from the government. The procedures for state and federal government are different when making a claim for personal injuries. In both instances, you will need to provide notice to the government before you make a claim or file a lawsuit. The Attorney General’s offices defend cases against the government.