Yes, absolutely. A minor child, or a person under the age of 18, cannot bring an injury claim on behalf of him or herself. Therefore, a parent, guardian, or someone appointed by the court must bring the claim on behalf of the minor child. If the minor child receives a settlement or award, then the judge must approve the distribution of the money through a minor settlement hearing. The money is then kept in a restricted bank account or investment for when the minor reaches age 18. At that point, the minor can obtain the funds and do as he or she pleases.